2024 Yokohama NORRA Mexican 1000: April 26 - May 4, 2024
What if you don’t own a race car? Well, the “Happiest Race On Earth!” is for everyone who loves the spectacular scenery, food, and rich culture of Baja; you don’t need to own a race car. Whether you want to run slow or fast (up to 60 mph), the non-competitive Safari Expedition is for you!
The Safari Expedition is unique to NORRA. It is a guided tour of Baja that puts you right in the mix of the Mexican 1000 or NORRA 500. You will take the green flag each day, follow parts of the racecourse, and have time for photos, scenic vistas, and local fare. You will see the Baja that only the most seasoned Baja travelers know. From spectacular missions to fabulous street tacos, your guide will make sure to get you to the best spots and across the finish line each night. Helmets and race suits are not required in this class, but we invite you to check the Safari section of the Vehicle Rules to get ready for the adventure.
Your entry fee includes all the basic race expenses including land use fees, rescue efforts; land and air, race ops monitoring, sweep, and recovery vehicles, as well as Fab School overnight repair stations at finish lines every day. NORRA has you covered.
Every occupant must purchase a Driver or Co Driver wristband that covers Norra Membership. The wristband allows you entry to NORRA events that may include food, refreshments and/or entertainment. Welcome Fiestas during registration, finish line celebrations and Awards Ceremonies at the conclusion of the event give you the opportunity to celebrate the day’s experiences and have fun with your new friends.
Lodging, insurance and tracking is not included with your entry fee, but we have created a Safari Hospitality Package that includes lodging along the way. When you purchase the package in the Mexican 1000, you get accommodations that range from beautiful hotels to quaint inns. You will need to make your own arrangements for Ensenada and San Jose del Cabo, but there is plenty of availability in those two cities. You will get to enjoy every aspect of the Baja experience on your way to the finish line in San Jose Del Cabo. The NORRA 500 Safari hospitality package includes lodging in San Felipe. You will make your own arrangements for your stay in Ensenada. Hotel recommendations can be found here on the NORRA website.
The NORRA Safari Expedition will make you into a seasoned Baja explorer by the end of the race. Get your entry in today, and make sure to address everything on our checklist below.
Click on the desired topic(s) below. Questions? Text us at +1 844-566-7726.
If you’re not getting our alerts and news, be sure to log into your NORRA account and subscribe with your mobile phone number.
Watch this space for new rally alerts from NORRA as they are posted!
NOTE: NORRA will supply car numbers for Safari entries.
A link to the Safari GPS files will be emailed to Safari participants shortly before the event.
|Stella/SPICA rental (required)||$300|
|Hospitality Package (Optional)||pricing to be announced|
|Driver of Record|
Crew, Friends and Family
|Party Wristband, Including Awards||265|
|Awards Ceremony Only||135|
2024 Mexican 1000 Safari Schedule
|Fri. Apr. 26||Registration / Tech, at the Riviera, Ensenada|
|Sat. Apr. 27||Registration / Tech, at the Riviera, Ensenada|
|Sun. Apr. 28||Ensenada ~ El Rosario|
|Mon. Apr. 29||El Rosario ~ Guerrero Negro|
|Tue. Apr 30||Guerrero Negro ~ San Juanico|
|Wed. May 1||San Juanico ~ Loreto|
|Thu. May 2||Loreto ~ La Paz|
|Fri. May 3||La Paz ~ San José del Cabo (Finish!)|
|Sat. May 4||San José del Cabo (Post official results and awards)|
Medical and Liability Insurance:
The insurance fee includes limited Medical and Liability Insurance.
- Auto liability insurance from a Mexican company is required by law in order to drive in Baja California.
- The insurance you purchase with your entry covers basic liability on and off the course for the vehicle you enter. Coverage starts 3 days before the Safari Exepedition is scheduled to start the course and continues until 3 days after Safari is scheduled to finish the course. Please be sure you understand its limitations. You may purchase additional coverage from Instant Mexico Insurance. Contact Miguel Rico for more information.
- Instant Mexico Insurance contact details: Miguel Rico 52 664 120 9742, firstname.lastname@example.org
Details about border crossing will be distributed as a Rally Alert shortly before most teams will be departing for the event. At that time, you will be able to register all vehicles crossing the border with your entry.
Plan ahead! You will need the following:
- A valid passport or passport card with an expiration date more than six months later than the date you enter Mexico. You can use a passport that has less than six months remaining as long as you leave Mexico before it expires, but you will need to apply for your FMM card in person at the border crossing.
- Vaccinations. Discuss with your doctor at least two months in advance of travel. See the CDC Mexico Travel page for current U.S. recommendations.
- You will need either a visa or an FMM (tourist card). U.S. citizens need an FMM. For other countries, check with a Mexican embassy or consulate in your area. Click here to get an FMM within 30 days of travel. You complete the form online and then print it. You need to get it validated at the border if you drive into Mexico. We are trying to make arrangements for FMM validation at NORRA registration in Ensenada; see the border crossing rally alert for updates on this.
- Valid registration for each vehicle.
- Valid driver’s license for each driver. Mexico accepts licenses from your home country if they are in English or Spanish. They also accept International Driving Permits.
- Be sure to bring some Mexican pesos. The best exchange rates are generally found in San Ysidro, California. In Mexico, check the rates at casas de cambio. If you use Mexican ATMs, you will incur high fees from both your bank and the Mexican bank.
- There are limits on carrying certain items across the border, including the number of spare tires and spare parts. Some items must be declared, such as if you bring more than $10,000 cash. Fuel in containers is not allowed. More information at the Welcome to Mexico webpage and in the upcoming NORRA border crossing Rally Alert.
What to Bring on the Vehicle
- ID and travel documents. (see Border Crossing)
- Vehicle registration
- Mexican insurance documents (see Insurance)
- Camping gear
- Clothing, drinking water, snacks, a lawn chair. Everything to ensure your comfort along the way
- Prescription medications should be in their original, labeled bottles
- Everything you normally bring when you go off road: a jack, tool kit, a full size spare tire, some replacement parts like an engine belt, and fuses.
- Mosquito repellent for the lower half of Baja
- First aid kit that includes bandages, some antihistamine, and aspirin for headaches. You can purchase first aid kits online, or at most pharmacies, or off road shops
- Cash for taco stops and "just in case"
- Do not leave valuables unattended in your vehicle
- Fuel in containers cannot be brought into Mexico
If you have any questions, be sure to contact NORRA for answers.
Rules & Classes
The vehicle rules document includes a list of all vehicle categories (classes) with detailed descriptions.
Download the 2024 Vehicle Rules v 5.4 revised November 29, 2023 (PDF)
Download the General Rules v 4.0 revised July 5, 2023 (PDF)
You are responsible for making your hotel and/or camping arrangements. If you book your own accomodations, NORRA is not reponsible for the booking and pricing practices of hotels and travel agents.
For the Mexican 1000 only, we offer a hospitality package. It includes a hotel room or camping spot at each stop, except you will need to make your own arrangements for Ensenada and San Jose del Cabo. There is plenty of availability in those two cities.
For the NORRA 500, you can easily book your own accomodations directly.
NORRA Refund and Credit Policy
- All NORRA credits for previous events expire after the 2024 Mexican 1000.
- If you withdraw your entry between December 1, 2023 and December 31, 2023, you will receive a refund of any payments made on or after December 1, 2023, less a $500 penalty.
- If you withdraw your entry between January 1, 2024 and March 31, 2024, you will receive a NORRA credit for any payments made on or after December 1, 2023, less a $500 penalty. The credit expires after the next event.
- No refund and no credit if you withdraw after March 31, 2024.
- You may transfer your entry fee to another new entrant for the same race.
Stella EVO III unit with the SPICA unit will be used for tracking and safety. Anube will supply the units, which you will rent from them when you register online for the event.
Maps, GPS and Road Books
Detailed maps, road books and GPS files will be available for download right before the race at norra.com/gps. Printed road books and roll charts will be available upon request at registration.