April 29 - May 6, 2022
Yokohama NORRA Mexican 1000 RALLY, Presented by Method Race Wheels
No other racing event immerses competitors in the food, drink, culture, and beauty of Baja, like the Yokohama NORRA Mexican 1000 – "The Happiest Race On Earth!", and the competitors run the gamut from offroad racing icons and current stars, to adventure seeking average Joes and well-travelled lovers of Baja. NORRA has classes for bikes, quads, UTV’s, and 4-wheel classes for everything from vintage vehicles to state-of-the-art race cars. There’s even the Savvy Safari class for stock and slightly modified OEM vehicles (non-race vehicles). NORRA pays homage to the past and celebrates the future.
Click on the desired topic(s) below.
Watch this space for Rally Alerts as they are posted. If you’re not getting our notifications, be sure to log into your NORRA account and subscribe with your mobile phone number.
|Driver of Record|
Crew, Friends and Family
|Cabo Awards Ceremony Only||100|
ALL hotel reservations and accommodations necessary to compete in the rally are to be made by individual race teams at their expense. NORRA is not reponsible for the booking and pricing practices of hotels and travel agents.
Bay of L.A. (Cars)
Rooms in Bay of L.A. are limited to one per team and are expected to sell out in the first day of pre-registration. If you pay your entry in full, you can book a room as part of the registration process (if available). Free camping is available in NORRA’s Pit City and you can also rent a concrete pad there. There are also two RV parks with hookups and palapas (open pads with thatched covers) available.
NORRA Refund and Credit Policy
- All NORRA credits for previous events expire after the 2022 Mexican 1000.
- If you withdraw your entry between November 10, 2021 and December 31, 2021, you will receive a refund of any payments made after November 10, 2021, less a $500 penalty.
- If you withdraw your entry between January 1, 2022 and March 31, 2022, you will receive a NORRA credit for any payments made after November 10, 2021, less a $1,000 penalty. The credit expires after the next event.
- No refund and no credit if you withdraw after March 31, 2022.
- You may transfer your entry to another new entrant for the same race.
Stella EVO III unit will be used for tracking and safety. NORRA will supply the unit, but you will need to supply the mount. Watch for an announcement with details on how to purchase it with the NORRA discount.
We don’t yet know what COVID mitigation requirements Mexican health authorities will require. More details will come as we get close to race time.
|About April 15||Required online meeting for media participants|
|About April 20||Online meeting for Safari drivers|
|About Apr. 21||Online drivers meeting for motos|
|About Apr. 22||Online drivers meeting for 4-wheel entries|
|Fri. Apr. 29||Registration / Tech at Horsepower Ranch, Ensenada|
|Sat. Apr. 30||Registration / Tech at Horsepower Ranch|
|Sun. May 1||Ensenada ~ San Felipe|
|Mon. May 2||San Felipe ~ Guerrero Negro (moto)
San Felipe ~ Bahía de Los Ángeles (4-wheel)
|Tue. May 3||Guerrero Negro ~ Loreto (moto)
Bahía de Los Ángeles ~ Loreto (4-wheel)
|Wed. May 4||Loreto ~ La Paz|
|Thu. May 5||La Paz ~ San José del Cabo (Finish!)|
|Fri. May 6||San José del Cabo (Post official results and awards)|
Rules & Classes
The general and vehicle rules documents for 2022 are linked below. There may be minor updates forthcoming.
The vehicle rules document includes a list of all vehicle categories (classes) with detailed descriptions.
Download the 2022 Vehicle Rules v 3.28 revised November 4, 2021 (PDF)
Download the General Rules v 3.5 revised March 28, 2021 (PDF)
Maps, GPS and Road Books
Maps, mileage charges, road books and GPS files will be available for download a few days before the race at norra.com/gps. Printed road books and roll charts will be available upon request at registration.
The NORRA Technology Eras
See the Mexican 1000 rules page for more information about vehicle categories and rally rules
Medical and Liability Insurance:
Vehicle Drivers and Co-Drivers will be banded with a wristband for Medical and Liability Insurance - a policy provided by Instant Mexican Insurance. Please understand the limitations of this insurance by reading the policy. Read the Policy
- Covers accidents that happen on the course ONLY
- Does NOT cover the race vehicle or damages
- Racer on racer accidents on course are covered under same medical terms but without liability coverage
- Does NOT cover accidents that involve illegal drugs
- ONLY covers USD$5000 in medical stabilization in Mexico. It does NOT cover flights or transportation to get back to your home country.
See also the Border Crossing section for information on additional required auto insurance while not on the course.
Details about border crossing will be distributed as a Rally Alert shortly before most teams will be departing for the event. At that time, you will be able to register all vehicles crossing the border with your entry.
Plan ahead! You will need the following:
- A valid passport or passport card with an expiration date more than six months later than the date you enter Mexico. (This may take two months or longer to obtain.)
- Vaccinations. Discuss with your doctor at least two months in advance of travel. See the CDC Mexico Travel page for current U.S. recommendations.
- You will need either a visa or an FMM (tourist card). U.S. citizens need an FMM. For other countries, check with a Mexican embassy or consulate in your area. Click here to get an FMM within 30 days of travel. You complete the form online and then print it. You need to get it validated at the border if you drive into Mexico. We are trying to make arrangements for FMM validation at NORRA registration in Ensenada; see the border crossing rally alert for updates on this.
- Valid registration for each vehicle.
- Valid driver’s license for each driver. Mexico accepts licenses from your home country if they are in English or Spanish. They also accept International Driving Permits.
- Proof of Mexican auto insurance. NORRA insurance only covers liability for vehicles on the course. Vehicles driven while not on the course must to be insured by a policy from a Mexican insurance carrier, which can be purchased online from instant Mexican Insurance
- Be sure to bring some Mexican pesos. The best exchange rates are generally found in San Ysidro, California. In Mexico, check the rates at casas de cambio. If you use Mexican ATMs, you will incur high fees from both your bank and the Mexican bank.
- There are limits on carrying certain items across the border, including the number of spare tires and spare parts. Some items must be declared, such as if you bring more than $10,000 cash. Fuel in containers is not allowed. More information at the Welcome to Mexico webpage and in the upcoming NORRA border crossing Rally Alert.