Below is a list of frequently asked questions. Touch or click on the plus + to view an answer. If you have a question that isn’t answered below, please CONTACT NORRA.

I can’t make the race. What happens now?
Please contact us as soon as you know. Unless it is the last few weeks before the race, you can get a credit to your NORRA account, less the $500 non-refundable deposit. NORRA credits are good only through the following race. You will still need to register for the race when you’re ready to use your credit. You can also sell or transfer your credit to another racer, but it still expires after the following race. See the Mexican 1000 Info page for deadlines and the full refund policy.
I want to use my favorite number for my entry. How are the numbers assigned?
Numbers are given out first-come-first-served during registration. Beginning in 2021, if you have raced with an entry number in a NORRA event during the previous year, we will hold it for you. If you do not race in a NORRA event during a year, or if you register and choose a different number than the one you used before, we will release your prior number so another entry can use it. If you want to change numbers after you have registered, contact us to let us know what number you want.
What vehicles are eligible? What class does my vehicle fit in?
All vehicles that meet basic safety standards are eligible to compete in NORRA events. Specific NORRA vehicle regulations are fully detailed in the NORRA Vehicle Rule Book. NORRA has categories for vintage vehicles, modern vehicles (called evolution categories), rally cars, and motorcycles and ATV’s of all ages and types. If you need further clarification, please contact us.
I’m not driving the course, only riding on the vehicle. Do I need to register?
Everyone on the vehicle must be registered.
How does co-driver/rider registration work?
There are two ways you can do it:
1. The driver of record can pay for co-drivers. After payment, the driver returns to the registration page and clicks on "build your team," where he/she enters the names and email addresses of each co-driver and rider.
-- or --
2. Codrivers can pay individually through their own NORRA accounts.
Either way, co-drivers must have their own NORRA accounts, and must complete their online liability waivers, emergency contact information, and upload their ID and health insurance documents.
How do I change co-drivers/riders?
The driver of record can add and remove co-drivers he/she paid for on the registration page, under "build your team." Contact us to remove co-drivers who paid for themselves.
I registered the driver of record, co-drivers and riders. Do I need to purchase separate party wristbands?
No, the driver of record and co-driver/rider wristbands include admissions to all parties.
Are crew members required to have wristbands?
Party wristbands are required for any crew members who are attending the parties.
Can a minor participate in the race?
Persons under 18 years of age may participate, but they must carry a valid driver’s license, issued by their home state or country, when driving on Mexican roads. Please contact us for a minor liability release, which must be signed by parents/guardians and notarized prior to onsite check-in.
I have questions about schedule, pits, fueling, hotels, and other logistics.
You can find this information on the Mexican 1000 Info page. Rally alerts will also be posted to this page.
Are there non-competitive classes?
If you’re less experienced with off-road racing, or you prefer to run in a non-competitive class, then Safari is perfect for you! There are classes for stock truck and 4x4 vehicles.
Can I change drivers or co-drivers during the day?
Yes. Note that everyone on the vehicle must have a NORRA driver or co-driver wristband. Anyone with a driver or co-driver wristband can drive or ride on any entry, with the permission of the driver of record.
Do I have to use the road book all the time?
Preferably yes, for your own safety. All the danger spots are marked there.
When will the course map be made available? When will GPS files be available?
A logistics map will be made available in the weeks before the race, however the detailed course map and GPS files will be posted just a few days before the start of the race. There is NO PRERUNNING allowed!
What papers do I need to cross the border?
You will need the following:
  • A valid passport or passport card with an expiration date more than six months later than the date you enter Mexico. This may take two months or longer to obtain.
  • You will need either a visa or an FMM (tourist card). U.S. citizens need an FMM. For other countries, check with a Mexican embassy or consulate in your area. Click here to get a free FMM within 30 days of travel. You complete the form online and then print it. You need to get it validated at the border if you drive into Mexico. We are trying to make arrangements for FMM validation at NORRA registration in Ensenada; see the border crossing rally alert for updates on this.
  • Valid registration for each vehicle.
  • Valid driver’s license for each driver. Mexico accepts licenses from your home country if they are in English or Spanish. They also accept International Driving Permits.
  • Proof of Mexican auto insurance. NORRA insurance only covers liability for vehicles on the course. Vehicles driven while not on the course must to be insured by a Mexican insurance policy, which can be purchased online. See the Mexican 1000 page for details. U.S. auto insurance is not valid in Mexico.
What vaccinations do I need?
Discuss with your doctor at least two months in advance of travel. See the CDC Mexico Travel page for current U.S. recommendations.
What should I bring with me in the racecar or motorcycle?
  • Your passport (must have more than six month left before expiration at the time you enter Mexico), tourist card. Mexican auto insurance documents. Health insurance card/documents
  • Some pesos and greenbacks just in case.
  • Sat phone with a list of emergency contact numbers including NORRA Ops.
  • Vehicle registration
  • Clothing, drinking water, snacks, a lawn chair. Everything to ensure your comfort along the way
  • Prescription medications in their original, labeled bottles
  • Everything you normally bring when you go off road: a jack, tool kit, a full size spare tire, some replacement parts like belts and fuses.
  • Mosquito repellent for the lower half of Baja
  • First aid kit that includes bandages, some antihistamine, and aspirin for headaches. You can purchase first aid kits online, or at most pharmacies, or off road shops
  • Camping gear if you’re planning to camp at some of the overnight stops
  • Do not leave valuables unattended in your vehicle
  • Fuel in containers cannot be brought into Mexico
NORRA - National Off Road Racing Association. Home of the Mexican 1000 and the NORRA 500